Followers

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

How To {make that block}

I worked all day {don't you feel bad for me :( } on a tutorial for how I made this block....


So here goes....keep in mind you can change the sizes - you certainly don't have to keep the same size block I made....
I started with a 5.5 inch square...
you need 4 of these to get one star....
 In the center we are going to draw lines to make a kite shape {similar to a spiderweb block}.  I made a dot 2 inches from the top point on both sides....
 Then draw a line from the dot to the point just opposite the top point on the block...
Remember you can cut this block as big or small as you like and you can place the dots where you like as long as you use the same measurement on both sides.
This creates a 'kite' shape in the center....

Next cut your fabric strips.  You may cut them all the same width or you can vary the width.  I cut mine 1.5 inches.
   Cut a strip that will cover you first line and extend some at the beginning and the end....
lay the fabric {right sides facing} edge next to the drawn line on the kite portion of the block....
  Using a quarter inch seam allowance stitch from top to bottom....remember the drawn line is not the stitch line...it is just to line up the strip.
Press this strip back...
Take the next strip and place it right sides facing - on top of the first strip - raw edges even....
**Just a note** I am not including that selvedge edge in my stitching...it will be trimmed off. Selvedge edges should be trimmed and not included in your sewing as the tight weave shrinks at a different rate than the rest of your fabric.
Again, stitch this strip and press back...
  Continue adding strips until the corner is completely covered...
Flip the block over so the right side is face down on your mat and trim the excess strips of fabric.  Use the block as your trimming guide.

 Then begin the same process on the other side of the kite...
Line this strip up next to the drawn line and stitch.... 
Continue adding strips, stitching and pressing until you have this corner covered...
Flip the block over and trim the excess....
Here is what all four finished will look like...
Stitch the top two and the bottom two....then stitch the two halves together....
If you want to use strips of different widths you get something that looks like this....
This is the secondary pattern.  I love it!
Hope this helps if you were interested in trying out this block!!!
Happy Tuesday!
mary

61 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for the well explained tutorial. I really love that block so for you to explain is an added bonus.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, thank you, think you! I SO want to make this! I have strips of fabric all ready to go!!! Now I need to find a fabulous coloured solid to get me going!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant tutorial, thank you so much. I am going to do one of these before the week is out! I have never done foundation piecing before. Heather x

    ReplyDelete
  4. And I also thank you for the tutorial. I have a photo of this block in my "quilt favorites" folder, saving it for a "Sundays are for Scraps" day. I will definitely be making it now that I don't have to figure it out all on my own.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great tutorial. Love the block!!
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you! I'm one of the askers and I appreciate the tutorial. You rock!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it. Looking at the final product first I thought no way could I do that. But you tutorial makes it look so much simpler! Thank you, I will be trying this out soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are a.m.a.z.i.n.g! Thank you so much for this tut!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are so cute and I love your fabric choices. Where did that gorgeous strawberry and green plaid come from?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thats great , thanks Mary .
    I have a baby girl quilt to sew & this will be perfect :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fabulous tutorial for a block that looked really complicated...but isn't!

    ReplyDelete
  12. thank you SO much for the tutorial! This is definitely something I'll be making one day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love that block! I appreciate all your hard work. Documenting a step by step tutorial can be a longer than you think process.

    I am so going to make this!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for showing how to make this block! I just organized my (many) fabric scraps. This pattern will be a fun way to use them up!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for showing us how to make this wonderful block. Your tutorial was so clear that it will be easy to make these now.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for taking the time to write the tutorial, Mary. It looks fairly easy now that I see it step by step. I love the colors in yours, of course!

    ReplyDelete
  17. this tutorial sure made it look easy. I'll have to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you for the tutorial, Mary! I love the look of this block, and it seems to be an easy and fun one to make...
    The colors are so energizing, they just makes me happy!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great tute Mary ! Must dig out my coloured solids - makes such a difference to the old spider web blocks!

    And matching socks again - you do spoil us so! teehee!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Gorgeous blocks and a wonderful tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  21. thankyou for the great tutorial. I was admiring this block on your previous post, and was hoping to learn how to do it. Great for scraps.

    ReplyDelete
  22. beautiful and useful tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a great tutorial!! You should have a little competition to name the block - My suggestion is The Rock Your Socks Off Block!! or Mary's Star would work too. It'll be such a buzz to see these popping up over blogland!

    ReplyDelete
  24. THANK YOU! I so wanted to do this block!!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thank you so much for making and sharing the tutorial. I fell in love with the block when you first shared it and I am excited to try it on my own!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great tutorial!
    Tank you very much!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Brilliant tutorial and such a gorgeous block!! Duly bookmarked for the future :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. I made one yesterday after seeing your post. Totally informative and definitely inspirational. I will post picture tomorrow. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thanks for explaining it so well - very clear directions! Can't wait to give it a try.....

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thank you SO SO much for this tutorial. I would not have figured that kite shape out myself. I can't wait to try this

    ReplyDelete
  31. Just love this block. Fabulous tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Great block! I'm first going to try it(just one block)to make a prayer square...I would add a couple borders around to make it large enough. If that goes well, I'd like to make a quilt. But, first the one block. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Thanks for the great tut. Our MQG used the pattern to fashion a baby quilt for a fellow member. So fun!
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/51109548@N08/7384158812/in/photostream

    ReplyDelete
  34. Thank you for such a great and easy way to design this block.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Awesome tutorial, thanks for taking the time to show is how!

    ReplyDelete
  36. I love it and I really like the idea of starting out with a small square. Your tutorial is excellent - thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  37. I just made this block with your tutorial. I loved it! Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Adorable block Mary. Thank you for taking the time to do a tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Thank you for this tutorial

    ReplyDelete
  40. Cant wait to tackle it for the Justice and Liberty Group, looks easy enough.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Thank you for your excellent tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Thanks for sharing the wonderful tutorial. I can't wait to try making this block.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Thank you so much for this tutorial. Have been looking for something to use up my extra strips and love this!

    Sandy O

    ReplyDelete
  44. Thank you for this tutorial and your feet in the picture, love it! I'll be starting this afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
  45. Can't wait to go through my stash to prepare to start this block! Thanks for the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  46. Thank you for this very clear tutorial. I am going to try it. My scraps need a lovely block like this to get used up beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  47. Love it have to give this a try
    Thanks si much for the tutorial

    ReplyDelete
  48. I love it ! Will be a good way to use scraps.

    ReplyDelete
  49. Thanks so much-it will work for collection of strawberry prints I have to make hot pads!

    ReplyDelete
  50. I so want to try this. Thank you. Now aren't you glad you had on clean socks? :-) Cute

    ReplyDelete
  51. Genius use of scraps and the star is like a little miracle. Wish I had thought of it but I am glad you did. I am going to empty my scrap bins and show everybody this blog. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  52. I love the pattern - thanks for sharing. I just finished making 58blocks using my scraps. The blocks look so nice.

    ReplyDelete
  53. Thank you four the fabulous tutorial.;)

    ReplyDelete
  54. I appreciate your taking the time to write up the tutorial. I love this block. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  55. Fantástico tutorial. Gracias
    Bsos

    ReplyDelete
  56. I have just made a trial block of this and I LOVE it. Do you mind if I refer my Modern Stitching Bee colleagues here to your tutorial for July? I want your scale the block a little and will leave those instructions for them on our Flickr group, but your tutorial is a perfect explanation of the how to.

    ReplyDelete
  57. You did a great job showing how the block is done. I know I will enjoy making these! Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete